Re: [ha] wired home network using CAN

Lars Wictorsson (lars.at.lawicel.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:16:32 +0200

Hi Steve,

(so we CAN "lovers" meet here too ;-) )

I'm with you to a 100% and I also (as some might have read my
earlier posts) don't mind running seperate wires and use CAN,
since I have also worked with CAN since 1993 and just love
it.

Right now I'm looking at the possibility to have a very
inexpensive node for this kind of purpose and it should
be able to update it through FLASH etc. I do not want to
go direct into the component selection I have made yet,
but it will be inexpensive per node.

I currenly use the C505C/C515C (an 8051 with CAN) and
also the stand alone CAN controllers SJA1000 and 82527.

This new node will be using the SJA1000, but I'm also waiting
for the first samples of the Microchip standalone CAN
controller MCP2510 or something like that. It is an SPI
18pin SOIC CAN controller.

With CAN it is also possible to run things like "intercom"
from one are in the house to the other, also have smart nodes
that operate for them self and send out info. e.g. an temp-
sensor can send out (without asking) the temp each second
and the CAN bus fic that with priority it self. then the
nodes who are interesting in that temp value catch that
message and use it, one could be a PC logging temperatures,
another a simple LCD for looking at the temp, another controling
heaters etc. CAN is very easy to deal with once you get
hang of it.

/Lars

LAWICEL Phone : +46 (0)451-50750
Lars Wictorsson Fax : +46 (0)451-50750
E-mail: lars.at.lawicel.com WWW : http://www.lawicel.com

Embedded hardware/software together with 8051/C16x/AVR and
smart distributed I/O with Controller Area Network (CAN).