Re: [ha] Basics

Ric (ric.at.tranquility.net)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 05:37:31 -0500

HA List
I think the 'automation' should be some sort of 'programming' that
can be performed by the owner/user of the system.. something simple
like IF THEN or graphical 'block ware' approach.

As far as protocols.. a decent, scalable transport protocol can be
looked at at www.hth.com. And, keeping compatible with other
'systems', the application protocol could be the Home Plug and Play
or HomePnP protocol.

As mentioned in previous posts, I think not requiring a PC is a
good idea, however, they are simple(sometimes) and flexible. And who
doesn't have an older extra one lying around the house. (why reinvent
the wheel).. Once system development has been 'completed' the PC could
be replaced by an SBC.

I have envisioned a system that would utilize an old PC running
DOS(simple) and dumb i/o on an RS422 bus using the PC serial port.
My vision includes using the available X10 modules for power interface
(again, why re-invent the wheel). X10 control being performed via a
device on the RS 422 bus. The dumb i/o is just that.. easy to design,
build, and utilize. Each device should have addressing capability
and provide an identification code telling the system what it is.
As units are designed, software for their utilization would be
'plugged' into the new system. A sort of Object Declaration file.

The 2nd serial port could be used for interface to the main home PC
for trending, totalization, alarming, programming, etc..

My 1.5 cents worth..

Rick Miller