Re: [ha] Basics

Loi X Tran (leotran.at.worldnet.att.net.spammynono!)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:03:46 -0500

Michel & Donna Matteau wrote:

> Here's my 2 cents worth...
>
> Let's start with a functional description (ie, what do we want this beast (these beasts) to do?). The standards can start to roll from there.
>
> Any discussions about processors and protocol need to be worked out once we know what we are trying to build.
>
> How can we keep a running list of "Gee, I wish I could do this..." type request? Can someone start some sort of web page for this?
>
> As the list fleshes out, we can then start to look at *how* we get the beast to do what is needed.
>
> Sorry to be so pragmatic. It comes from years of specifying products for other engineers.
>
> Mitch

Here's my I understand from the initial proposal. The system is
basically used to
automate electrical devices in the house. When I think of electrical,
I'm thinking
of every electrical appliance and/or electrical system. Someone stop me
if I
start to make a fool out of myself, but this to me would also include
the AC, the
electrical breaker box and a few other high voltage systems that I don't
feel too
comfortable about using a system to control.

The system would be centrally operated, but the control system would be
modular and
independent of the central control, right? My question is this. How
much automation
would be involved? How sophistocated would the automation be? This is
where the
protocal would come in.

If someone could maybe post a protocol that's already been define, maybe
there would
be some direction we could all head towards.

I hope I'm not hogging up the discussion here.

Loi